Greek Tourism Minister Harry Theoharis on Tuesday said that tourist arrivals to Greece in June were over 40 percent compared to last year.
“There is optimism, which in fact is not based only on estimates. We are in mid-summer and arrivals are significantly higher compared to last year,” the minister said while speaking during an interview to SKAI radio.
According to Theoharis, a 40 to 50 percent rise in arrivals were recorded this June compared to July 2020 (the month last year that Greece lifted restrictions and welcomed international travelers).
The tourism minister informed that most of this year’s arrivals are from Germany, then France and “surprisingly” Poland.
“There is a big increase from Poland for the second consecutive year and that is very pleasing,” he said.
Theoharis also added that arrivals of British tourists to the Ionian islands began to increase right after the UK lifted its lockdown restrictions on July 19.
Cancelled Bookings on Mykonos are around 1%
Commenting on the latest news involving Mykonos, which has been under strict measures (curfew and music ban) since Saturday, Theoharis said that cancellations of bookings on the popular island have reached around only 1 percent.
When asked if the government was concerned that parties my still be taking place on the island, the minister was quick to say that public safety is a priority and checks will continue.
“Our message is that we will continue to take difficult decisions. This means that we must all stay within the framework permitted by law so that we can all work together – the private sector, hoteliers, employees, local government and the state – to maintain this balance between staying open and health safety,” he said.
The restrictions on Mykonos are expected to be lifted on Monday, July 26.