The Attica Gaia Festival 2023 – New Thesmoforia, a celebration of the land of Attica and a meeting point between culture, tourism and the primary sector, will have its inaugural run this year, between September 16 and 24.
An initiative of the Attica Region, the festival is organized by the development agency “New Metropolitan Attica S.A.” Attica DMMO, under the auspices of the Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO).
“The festival will link the primary production sector with culture and tourism, highlight the products, potential and culture of Attica… It is a pioneering initiative aimed to further enhance the extroversion of Attica’s products, thus constituting a valuable legacy,” said Attica Governor George Patoulis.
The festival is named after the ancient Greek festival of Thesmoforia, which was a celebration of the fertility of the land and of women.
The Attica Gaia Festival 2023 – New Thesmoforia is scheduled to take place in various locations throughout Attica, including Attiko Parko, Antonis Tritsis Park, Pedio of Areos, Alimos (Athenian Riviera), Kerameikos, and the Keratsini – Drapetsona Fertilizer Village.
“Inspired by Greek history and tradition, this festival aims to become a celebration of the power of culture, the authenticity of our local communities and our local products, further supporting the pillars for a sustainable, viable tourism development model that respects the environment, culture and the quality of life of local residents,” said GNTO President Angela Gerekou.
Some of the events to take place during the festival include:
- a symphonic audiovisual choreography entitled “Thesmoforia Dance: An Ode to Earth“
- educational and experiential workshops on sustainability in the agri-food sector
- a scientific workshop on “Attica’s land and its products: environment and climate crisis, perspectives”
- a music and dance event entitled “Tradition & Attica Land“
- a presentation of the “Greek breakfast” experience to journalists and professionals of tourism and gastronomy
- the Physis Gaia Project, a theatrical, musical & entertaining narrative
- the Attica Molecular Mixology at Momix Bar, where professionals from the field of gastronomy, pastry and bartending will have the opportunity to participate in an original mixologist experience with the creation of original molecular cocktails designed exclusively from products from Attica.
The festival is open to everyone and admission is free. Further information can be found on the festival’s website: www.thesmoforia.gr.