Replicas of Thessaloniki’s “Enchanted”, legendary Caryatids, will return to their birthplace on the initiative of the Thessaloniki International Fair (TIF) to mark its 80-year anniversary next month.
The four portico two-sided Caryatids, part of a Corinthian colonnade at the entrance of the Ancient Agora (Roman Forum) on the upper side of central Aristotelous Square, stood in the “Gallery of the Idols” in the 2nd century AD.
The original sculptures, which were removed in 1864 by French historian Emmanuel Miller and transported to France, are currently housed in the Louvre Museum in Paris.
Replicas of the sculptures will go on display during the 80th jubilee TIF event.
Thessaloniki’s municipal authorities have for over two decades worked towards seeing the return of the ancient statues to the city. The first attempt was made in 1997, when Thessaloniki served as the European Cultural Capital.