Greece’s Famous Navagio Beach May Close Due to Safety Risk
One of Greece’s most famous and popular beaches, Navagio located on the island of Zakynthos, is being closed once again to the public following a recommendation by the National Earthquake Planning and Protection Organization (EPPO), according to an announcement by the Greek Tourism Ministry.
One of the most instagrammed sites in Greece, Navagio Beach, a popular hotspot known for its signature shipwreck, is being closed off after reassessment earlier this month by an EPPO team headed by its president Efthymios Lekkas.
The assessment found that there was extensive landslide risk due to erosion on the perimeter slopes. The decision to ban visitor access to the world-famous beach was discussed by officials from the ministries of climate crisis and civil protection, shipping and island policy, tourism, the Hellenic Police, the Coast Guard, and the Ionian Islands Region. Officials agreed to reassess safety measures for Navagio beach twice a year with on-the-spot inspections.
Commenting on the news on Thursday morning, Greek Tourism Minister Vassilis Kikilias said boats with tourists will be allowed to approach the world-famous beach but travelers will not be allowed go ashore or swim near and around the shipwreck.
Last September the beach was once again closed off to the public due to safety risk. In 2018, access to the beach was banned after a landslide injured seven people.
“The safety of residents and visitors is a top priority and the decision was reached taking into account new scientific data presented by the EPPO and its president Professor Lekkas and in view of the high traffic in the area during the tourist season,” said Kikilias.