Redevelopment work recently began on busy Panepistimiou street as part of a major urban regeneration project aiming to increase free spaces in Athens and improve the quality of life for residents and visitors.
Works are currently underway on the section of Panepistimiou street between Sina and Amerikis streets.
According to the Municipality of Athens, the redevelopment project will take place in phases to avoid any inconvenience for pedestrians and vehicles.
The first phase of the Panepistimiou redevelopment project is expected to run until March.
The project will contribute to the environmental upgrade of 19,360 square meters of public space. The existing sidewalks will be widened to offer 4,270 square meters of additional space to pedestrians.
The project also foresees:
– The creation of 2,260 square meters of green areas complete with 83 new plane trees.
– The installment of special ramps at the junctions of Panepistimiou street for persons with mobility issues, senior citizens and families with strollers.
– A total of 16 advanced pedestrian crossings will be developed along Panepistimiou street to ensure road safety.
– Fifty-nine seating areas will be created under the trees, as well as five fountains with drinking water (a move that aims to limit the use of plastic bottles).
– The municipality will also install 112 modern streetlights that consume the minimum amount of energy required.