The half marathon was initially scheduled to take place on March 22 but was postponed to September due to coronavirus outbreak.
However, the event’s organizers on Thursday confirmed that this year’s event is officially cancelled, following the decision recently announced by the health committee of the Hellenic Secretariat of Sports that prohibits the staging of running outdoor/off-stage events with more than 100 persons involved (participants and staff).
“The Hellenic Athletics Federation (SEGAS) and the City of Athens, in consultation with the Attica Region, announce that the 2020 Athens Half Marathon, scheduled to take place on September 20th, is now cancelled,” an announcement by SEGAS said.
The federation noted that the rescheduling of the Athens Half Marathon had been agreed by all parties, given that the announced health protocol, which included strict social distancing regulations and measures protecting the public health, had been approved by all relevant authorities.
“The decision for the cancellation of the 2020 Athens Half Marathon event is truly an unpleasant one, which upsets our runners and volunteers. It is evident that at this late stage, the Hellenic Athletics Federation had already proceeded to significant expenses regarding the staging of the race. However, protection of public health is and will always be our top priority,” SEGAS said.
Those who have registered to participate in the 2020 Athens Half Marathon event will receive a personal e-mail within the next days with information regarding the possibility to either defer their participation into next year’s event or receive back the entry fee.
Regarding the 2020 Half Marathon Race National Championship, SEGAS said it will consult with all associated parties and soon announce its decisions on whether, when, and where it will be held.