Greek tourism seems to be resilient despite the negative international media coverage of Greece, leading up to the July 5 referendum, with sector authorities taking immediate action to secure its future.
In a letter to Alternate Tourism Minister Elena Kountoura earlier this week, the Greek Tourism Confederation (SETE) is calling on relevant ministries and sector professionals to work together to ensure that the tourism market continues to remain operational.
At the same time, SETE has requested the creation of a crisis control committee which would involve relevant ministries, local bodies and private sector professionals.
“SETE is ready to actively participate in a crisis control committee setting up all the necessary tools to achieve a common goal: the smooth operation of the tourist market,” SETE President Andreas Andreadis said in the letter.
In this direction, the Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO) has reportedly established a crisis management group which has already informed tour operators via Greek embassies of the current situation, particularly the banking conditions, in Greece.
Meanwhile, the GNTO team, which is monitoring bookings through its branch offices in other countries, reportedly said on Monday that there has been little change to booking figures and minimal cancellations, while many markets continue to express their confidence in Greece.
SETE and the Hellenic Chamber of Hotels (XEE) are offering support to tourist enterprises and employees and are in direct contact with international tourism operators, visitors and journalists, in order to provide valid information on the current situation.
In a statement issued by XEE on Monday it calls on all professionals to continue “with a high sense of responsibility to do everything possible to minimize the negative impact of the current situation on visitors’ travel experience”.
On Tuesday, SETE set up a hotline for Greek tourism professionals that may be in need of assistance with operational and functional issues.