More airlines have joined pilots and live deployments to test and evaluate the New Distribution Capability (NDC) schemas, according to the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
The NDC schemas aim to modernize the way that airline products are presented through travel agents as well as help to promote efficiency and innovation.
The nine new airlines that have joined NDC pilot programs and deployments include Avianca, China Southern Airlines, Gol Linhas Aereas, Hong Kong Airlines, InselAir, Lufthansa, Qantas, Swiss and Ukraine International Airlines.
“We welcome the participation of these airlines as well as their travel agent and technology partners in helping to test and implement the NDC Standard”, said Tony Tyler, IATA’s Director General and CEO.
“NDC is a pro-consumer move that is unleashing innovation. With NDC, travelers shopping through agencies will be able to compare the full product offering—tailored to their specific requirements.”
Including these latest developments, the number of airlines that have participated in NDC pilots/deployments or announced their intent to do so is 24.
According to an announcement by IATA:
- Avianca will engage in an NDC pilot during 2015
- China Southern Airlines plans to complete a live deployment of the NDC standard covering shopping, booking, and ticketing in the second half of 2015
- Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes plans to embark on an NDC pilot with its passenger services system provider, Navitaire. The project is anticipated to begin in June
- Hong Kong Airlines will launch a NDC pilot in the second half of 2015
- InselAir will complete a live NDC deployment in the same timeframe, selling their flights and ancillaries to corporate users and travel agents.
- Lufthansa will realize an NDC pilot by the end of the year. This pilot will focus on the dynamic bundling of products
- Qantas is launching an NDC pilot to distribute their Chauffeur Drive product in a third party channel environment in cooperation with an Australia-based industry partner
- Swiss International Air Lines plan to launch a live deployment of the NDC standard covering shopping during 2015
- Ukraine International Airlines plans to launch the implementation of NDC shopping during 2015
IATA also announced the launch of the NDC microsite with information on how to get started with NDC.