“Thessaloniki remains one of the most popular international destinations for the second consecutive year as it managed once more to win over more visitors,” the Thessaloniki Hotels Association said in a recent announcement.
According to data released by the association, 123,208 more overnights were made in the city’s hotels during the first six months of the year compared to the same period in 2013.
In absolute numbers, the total of overnights in Thessaloniki’s hotels during the first six months of the year added up to 909,064 compared to 785,856 overnights last year, which shows an increase of 15.68 percent.
Greeks return to Northern Greece
The association was pleased to announce that Greek visitors were returning to Thessaloniki. During the January-June period, overnights by Greeks increased by 13.23 percent to 512,779 compared with the same period last year. In 2013 the northern city welcomed 452,848 Greeks during that period.
The city’s hotel association also tracked the nationalities of foreigners who visited Thessaloniki during the first six months of 2014.
Top Nationalities of Foreign Travelers to Thessaloniki
- Cyprus – 44,935 overnights (41.46 percent increase from 2013)
- Turkey – 34,753 overnights (21.7 percent increase)
- Russia – 33,940 overnights (4.92 percent decrease from 2013)
- Bulgaria – 23,534 overnights (28.71 percent increase)
- Germany – 23,533 overnights (43.46 percent increase)
- Italy – 20,202 overnights (3.27 percent increase)
- Serbia & Montenegro – 18,947 overnights (34.7 percent increase)
- Libya – 18,674 overnights (64.91 percent increase)
- USA – 17,409 overnights (17.59 percent increase)
- Romania – 15,674 overnights (14.93 percent increase)