The establishment of a Documentation Center For Greek Tourism that brings together 15 stakeholders in the Greek economy, the academic and research community was announced today, 28 March, at a special event of the Hellenic Chamber of Hotels in Athens.
The documentation center, an initiative of the Hellenic Chamber of Hotels and the Research Institute for Tourism (ITEP), is designed to provide immediate access to reliable information and statistics on various aspects of growth and development of Greek tourism.
During his speech, the hotel chamber’s president, Yiorgos Tsakiris, invited key tourism stakeholders to participate in the documentation center, noting the need for a realistic imprint of the industry’s statistics that would lead to safe conclusions-tools for studying developments in tourism.
Mr. Tsakiris said these figures would give the correct dimension of tourism in the real economy and also be a testament to the strategic planning for the country and tourism businesses.
Documentation Center For Greek Tourism
On his part, the general director of ITEP, Emeritus Professor Gerassimos Zacharatos, referred to the objectives of the documentation center, which are based on the association and combination of multi-level data collected or processed by 15 expert bodies.
The data aims to provide consistent and comparative knowledge of statistics and information on Greek tourism and to clarify figures, methods and techniques that in regards to the ever-expanding inventory of information.
The network of partnerships of the Documentation Center For Greek Tourism includes the following bodies and authorities either directly or partially engaged in tourism:
- Hellenic Chamber of Hotels
- Hellenic Statistical Authority
- Bank of Greece
- Center of Planning and Research
- National Center for Social Research
- Labor Institute/General Confederation Workers of Greece
- National Technical University of Athens, School of Architects
- University of Aegean – Department of Business Administration
- University of Aegean – Department of Business Administration/Laboratory of Quantitive Methods.
- University of Thessaly, Department of Planning and Regional Development, Laboratory of Tourism Planning, Research and Policy.
- University of Thessaly, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Planning and Regional Development – Laboratory of Environment and Special Planning
- University of Patras, Department of Business Administration, Management of Information Systems and Business Intelligence Laboratory.
- University of Patras, Department of Business Administration, Laboratory of Research and Tourism Satellite Account
- Technological Educational Institute of Athens, Advanced Systems for Information – Knowledge Image Laboratory