The city of Athens for 35 days will transform into one big stage to host theater and music events for all in a number of locations throughout the city.
Announced by the Municipality of Athens and its Cultural, Sports, and Youth Organization (OPANDA), the “All Athens is a Stage” 35-day festival will see the Greek capital host a series of admission free events including concerts, theatrical and musical performances, dance parties and music tributes.
Starting on Saturday, July 1, a total of 59 events are scheduled to take place across 30 Athenian neighborhoods, transforming parks, open-air theaters, squares, and courtyards into event venues.
“This year, our great outdoor festival will be expanding across the city to offer Athenians and visitors summer nights full of quality entertainment,” said Athens Mayor Kostas Bakoyannis.
“All Athens is a Stage” continues last year’s successful organization following an open invitation to artists to submit their proposals for the 2023 event.
Curated by OPANDA in the framework of Culture is Athens, the festival will take place in various locations including the Kolonos and Grava theaters, the “Mikis Theodorakis” and Longinou parks, and the Eleftherias (Koumoundourou), Agios Pavlos, Dexameni, Santarosa, Plyta, Mesologgios, Filopappou, Thymacchia, Nathaniel, Lambrini, Papadiamantis, Agios Georgios, Kalliga, Victoria, Penelope Delta, Laconia, and Agios Demetrios squares.
Additionally, events will be held in the courtyard of the National Archaeological Museum and the Central Library at Larissa Station, Lambrakis Hill, the pedestrian area of Fokionos Negri, the atrium of the Benaki Museum, as well as the Konistra stadium in Petralona and the stadium of Ellinoroson.
The festival’s highlights this year include:
- Chica Almodóvar at Koumoundourou Square, 2/7: A musical performance showcasing the cinematic universe of Pedro Almodóvar.
- The Wedding Singers at Dexamenis Square, 9/7: The Wedding Singers band create a rhythm party with popular dance hits from the 90s.
- The Athens Municipality Symphony Orchestra at the Benaki Museum Atrium, 10/7: “A Night at the Opera” – Concert featuring Philippos Modinos as a soloist, under the musical direction of Byron Fidetzis.
- “Tribute to Bob Dylan” at the Archaeological Museum (courtyard), 11/07: Concert by the Mara Karetsos Center for Arts and Science.
- The explosive 15-50 with Dimitris Starovas at Santarosa Square, 18/7: 15-50, known for their explosive live performances, and the multi-talented Dimitris Starovas present a unique evening in the city center.
- Jazz music and beyond with the Athens Municipality Big Band at Kolonos theater, 21/07
- The Athens Municipality Symphony Orchestra and quinteto TANGartO, Kolonos Theatre, 22/7
For more information and the full program of events: www.opanda.gr and www.cultureisathens.gr