In efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, the Municipality of Athens has suspended the operation of the capital’s sports facilities, creative learning centers, museums and cultural venues.
The municipality’s decision aims to keep Athens’ citizens safe and is in line with the latest measures announced by the Ministry of Health, the National Public Health Organization (EODY) and the General Secretariat for Civil Protection against Covid-19.
According to the new enhanced measures that went into force today (November 3), Attica, including Athens, has Level B – Red status on the risk-assessment map with restrictions set to last for a month.
As a result, the municipality has suspended the operation of the following venues:
Museums and cultural venues:
- Angeliki Chatzimichali Museum of Folk Art and Tradition in Plaka,
- Platonos Digital Museum at Platonos Academy,
- Melina Cultural Center in Thissio,
- Anna & Maria Kalouta Multi-venue,
- Arts Center,
- Dodecanese House in Sepolia,
- Municipal Art Gallery,
- Creative Learning Centers.
The libraries of the Municipality of Athens are exempt from the measure.
The City of Athens Technopolis will remain closed in November but will continue to produce a rich program of digital events.
Furthermore, Technopolis’ Industrial Gas Museum will continue to offer guided tours to its outdoor areas for small groups after a telephone appointment at 2130109325.
The Municipality has also suspended the operation of the following sports venues operated by the Sports, Culture and Youth Organization (OPANDA):
- Municipal gyms
- Swimming pools (Serafio, Goudi, Kolokynthous, Grava)
- Outdoor and indoor sports facilities for basketball, volleyball, football
- OPANDA Sports Learning Academies
- OPANDA playgrounds
The following tennis courts will continue to operate only for individual training, without a coach, and after a telephone appointment, from Monday to Friday, from 9am – 9pm and on weekends from 9am – 7pm:
- Rouf, Pireos & Echelidon streets,
- Ellinoroson, Krimnitsis square,
- Goudi, G. Papandreou & Kanellopoulou sts,
- Ano Patisia, Mitsaki & Polyla sts.
In addition, the Grava Athletic Sports Center will be open for individual training, without a coach, by appointment at 210 2287506. It will operate from Monday to Saturday 7.30am – 10pm and on Sundays from 9am – 7pm.
More information (in Greek) is available here.