The Acropolis Museum in Athens is among the top museums in the world, ranking 8th on the list of the 2017 Travelers’ Choice Awards for Museums, recently released by travel planning and booking site TripAdvisor.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York topped the list, while the National WWII Museum in New Orleans came second followed by the Musée d’Orsay in Paris, the Art Institute of Chicago and the State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace in St Petersburg.
The Acropolis Museum had been announced ninth best in the world at the 2016 Travelers’ Choice awards for Museums.
“As a traveler, exploring a famous museum or discovering a new one can be the highlight of a trip,” said Brooke Ferencsik, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor, also advising travelers to consider booking a skip-the-line pass or taking a small group tour to save time and make the most of their visit to the world’s top museums.
Top 10 Museums in the World
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art — New York City, New York
2. The National WWII Museum — New Orleans, Louisiana
3. Musée d’Orsay — Paris, France
4. Art Institute of Chicago — Chicago, Illinois
5. State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace — St Petersburg, Russia
6. The National 9/11 Memorial & Museum — New York City, New York
7. National Museum of Anthropology — Mexico City, Mexico
8. Acropolis Museum — Athens, Greece
9. Prado National Museum — Madrid, Spain
10. V&A – Victoria and Albert Museum – London, UK
Acropolis Museum ranks 3rd among Europe’s best
The Acropolis Museum is third on the list of Europe’s 25 best museums for 2017. According to TripAdvisor’s Traveler Choice Awards for Museums, Musee d’Orsay in Paris came first and the State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace in St Petersburg second.
Tripadvisor’s top 10 museums in Greece
The Acropolis Museum also topped the list of Greece’s 10 best museums. The Heraklion Archaeological Museum in Heraklion, Crete, ranked second and is followed by the National Archaeological Museum in Athens. (The full list can be seen below.)
Top 10 Museums — Greece
1. Acropolis Museum, Athens
2. Heraklion Archaeological Museum, Heraklion
3. National Archaeological Museum, Athens
4. Museum of the Royal Tombs of Aigai (Vergina), Vergina
5. Delphi Archaeological Museum, Delphi
6. Pavlos Vrellis Museum of Greek History, Ioannina
7. Archaeological Museum at Ancient Olympia, Olympia
8. Achilleion Museum, Gastouri, Corfu
9. Cyclades Olive Museum, Pitrofos, Andros
10. Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki
Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for museums worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.