Athens International Airport (AIA) last week awarded the best innovative proposals and applications for new digital services and business activities that could function in a real airport environment.
The awards were presented within the framework of AIA’s innovative contest “The Digital Gate: Airport Innovation Challenge – Transforming the Airport Environment” held at a special event on December 1.
“Innovation is part of our airport’s DNA and forms one of AIA’s key-pillars for the provision of top notch passenger services upgrading the travel experience”, AIA’s CEO, Dr. Yiannis Paraschis, said.
“Plus, meaningful youth-support programmes constitute a basic element of Athens International Airport’s corporate responsibility policy”, he added.
The “Digital Gate” airport contest was launched last April, in cooperation with the Athens University of Economics and Business and the scientific support of the Laboratory of Electronic Commerce and Business, aiming at exploring and promoting digital innovation and young entrepreneurship in the air-transport and tourism sector.
According to AIA, participation was impressive, with 162 participants and 83 proposals, 35 of which offered a possibility of direct implementation in the airport environment.
Following six workshops and the continuous, valuable support of 45 mentors and 18 specialized professionals, the evaluation committee (11 experts from the IT&T, Transport and Startups sectors) selected seven proposals, six of which will be implemented in the Athens airport environment, and one will receive specialized support from the Athens University of Economics and Business. In addition, special awards were given to the teams by supporter companies, IBM, Microsoft, SAP, IQbility.
- Weather ex Machina (1st award): Application for the most accurate weather forecast
- Butlair (Early Stage Startup award): A “personal assistant” for Greece’s visitors
- Clio Muse: An Athens art and culture guide application
- TACTICAL: Efficient organizing, supervision and management of personnel works in large areas & crisis management
- Smart Parking System – Human Electric: Smart parking in real time
- Airport Assistant: Mobile application for PRM airport visitors and passengers
- liateR: Smart shopping and testing, via interactive screens