Greece has secured a spot in the Top 20 Gay-friendly Travel Destinations for 2023, according to a new study released by MyDatingAdviser.com.
Founded in 2019, My Dating Adviser is an online magazine committed to helping the dating population around the globe with guidance from expert dating advisers.
To compile the top 20 list, the online platform considered the following factors from popular destinations across the globe: societal acceptance towards homosexuality, sexual activity rights, civil union rights, marriage rights, adoption rights, military service rights, anti-discrimination, and gender identity laws.
Greece: 17th best for LGBTQ+ Travel
Greece ranked as the 17th Best Country for LGBTQ+ Travel in the world with an index score of 64.4.
Although the country has one of the lowest levels of societal acceptance towards homosexuality (48 percent) among the top 20 countries on the list and does not grant marriage and adoption rights to same-sex couples, it achieved its current ranking thanks to recent laws enacted in 2015 and 2017, which allowed for same-sex couples to have cohabitation agreements and recognized gender identity rights.
Sweden secured the first position on the list with an index score of 98.2 and an acceptance rate of 94 percent. The Netherlands came in second, with Spain, France, and the United Kingdom rounding out the top 5.
Following the publication of their research, My Dating Adviser also issued guidelines regarding visiting countries with lower levels of societal acceptance towards homosexuality and LGBTQ+ individuals.
These guidelines include the following:
Avoid public displays of affection in places with low levels of tolerance.
- Take the same precautions you would take at home.
- Exercise sensible precautions if you meet other LGBT people, due to the possible presence of right-wing groups and police entrapment campaigns.
- Ignore unwelcome remarks or attention and move to a safe place.
- Exercise more discretion in rural areas.
- Check with your hotel if they accept bookings from same-sex couples before you go.
- Research local LGBT-inclusive charities, organizations, and travel agents.