Culture Ministry Invites Greek Filmmakers to Submit Movies for Oscars 2023
The Greek Culture Ministry recently issued a call to film producers interested in participating in the selection process for the movie that will represent Greece at the 95th Academy Awards (better known as the Oscars) and compete for the Best International Feature Film title in 2023.
The call is addressed to Greek filmmakers who meet the criteria as set out in this year’s Oscar regulations available here.
Following changes to the rules of the American Academy due to the Covid-19 pandemic, films that were initially scheduled to premiere in a commercial theater but were made available through a commercial streaming service or video on demand, qualify for eligibility for an award in the category of International Feature Film at the 95th edition of the Oscar Awards, subject to the following conditions:
– Contributors must be able to provide the American Academy with proof (original documents and English translation) of governmental theater suspension orders, the initial scheduled screening in a commercial theater, and the streaming service or video on demand agreements that were ultimately signed.
– The films must meet all other eligibility requirements outlined by the American Academy.
Greece’s Selection Process
Interested producers must submit their film’s nomination directly to the Greek Culture Ministry by August 31. All nominations will be evaluated by a committee established exclusively for this purpose. The final decision will be issued by the Deputy Culture Minister.
In order for a film’s nomination to be valid, the following documents must be submitted to the ministry:
1. the producer’s application with original signature, which includes the exact title of the film, its duration (over 40 minutes) and its genre (fiction, documentary, animated film)
2. certificate of Greek citizenship (issued, upon request, by the Greek Film Centre), as well as details of the cast and crew
3. documents proving that the first, official release of the film took place for seven consecutive days in a commercial cinema theater with tickets, or, alternatively, and only if the conditions mentioned above are met, through a streaming service or video on demand.
Interested parties must send an e-mail to the Department of Cinematography and Audiovisual Media of the Directorate of Performing Arts and Cinema of the culture ministry at email@example.com by August 31.