Griekenland.net offers information and holiday tips about Greece’s islands and mainland.
The survey was conducted online among 1,224 travelers in the first four months of this year.
Its key findings include:
- More than 18 perecent of Greece lovers opt for a holiday to Crete this summer – a 38 percent increase in popularity compared to the same Griekenland.net survey last year.
- The island of Zakynthos boosts from third position to second this summer, compared to the same survey conducted last year, and switched positions with Kos. Zakynthos took 14 percent of votes and Kos 11 percent
- On Crete, most Dutch arrivals are at Heraklion airport with direct flights from several airports in The Netherlands. The first Dutch holiday flight to the Cretan capital this year was in February
- More and more Dutch are also arriving at Chania airport.
- Lesvos follows in fourth place this year and seems to be back as a destination in The Netherlands. Last year this north Aegean island was just in eighth place for Greece. Lesvos received 9 percent of the votes for this summer
- Rhodes and Samos share fifth place for the summer of 2022 with both 8 percent of the votes. The green Ionian island of Corfu follows closely in seventh place with 7 percent of the votes.
- Other Greek islands where the Dutch like to go on holiday this summer are Karpathos (6 percent), Kefalonia (6 percent), Santorini (4 percent), Lefkada (3 percent) and Mykonos (2 percent).
Greek islands popular in April school holidays
Meanwhile the Greek islands were incredibly popular as destinations in The Netherlands during the April school holidays, from April 23 – May 8, the study said.
May is a bit behind with bookings so far, while June is already getting a lot busier and the summer months of July and August are on track for Greece in 2022.
In the summer of 2019, Greece received more than one million travelers from The Netherlands – a record number for the country.