The European Travel Commission (ETC) has announced the opening of applications for the Destination of Sustainable Cultural Tourism Awards 2022.
The deadline of applications is on 1 June at 17.00 CET.
For the fifth year in a row ETC continues its partnership with the European Cultural Tourism Network (ECTN), Europa Nostra and the Network of European Regions for Competitive and Sustainable Tourism (NECSTouR) to encourage the development of sustainable tourism destinations around Europe.
The theme of this year’s edition of Destination of Sustainable Cultural Tourism Awards is “Relaunching European Tourism through Cultural Heritage & Digitalisation”.
The awards will be given for achievements by cultural tourist destinations which have produced significant results related to enhancing visitor experience while respecting traditions and involving local communities. This edition receives the support from the European Association of Archaeologists (EAA), Interpret Europe and the ReInHerit Horizon2020 CSA.
The joint awards are open to all tourist destinations across Europe, national, regional and local authorities, tourism boards and associations, destination management organisations, museums, interpretation centres, cultural routes, festivals and cultural NGOs.
They are invited to showcase their results in sustainable cultural tourism under five selected categories:
- Cooperation between museums and cultural heritage sites (including European heritage label sites), in relation to the ReInHerit Horizon2020 CSA
- Medieval heritage and archaeology (supported by European Association of Archaeologists)
- Digitalisation in sustainable cultural tourism, towards smart destinations
- Transnational thematic tourism products, including European Cultural Routes (involving at least two countries)
- Promoting European heritage to young visitors and travellers (in the framework of the ‘European Year of Youth 2022’).
Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony to be held during the 15th International Conference for Cultural Tourism organized by ECTN on 19-22 October in Krk, Croatia.
Press here to access the application form.