The region received the award after competing against leading destinations including Cape Town, Dubai, Maimi, Shanghai, Jakarta and Perth, Australia.
The nomination file of Attica at the World Travel Awards was submitted by New Metropolitan Attica S.A., a regional development organization, and included details on the region’s many thematic tourism products and infrastructure.
As highlighted by the region in an announcement, Attica won the title for offering:
• an award-winning airport
• luxury hotels and accommodation options for all budgets
• the Acropolis, one of the world’s most significant cultural heritage monuments
• blue Flag awarded beaches only 15 minutes away from the city center
• access by ferry from the port of Piraeus to dozens of idyllic islands
• a tram line crossing the coastal zone until the Piraeus port
• food and entertainment services
• impressive marinas
• numerous gastronomy options on the Athenian Riviera and excellent wine tasting events in local vineyards
• a unique combination of mountain and sea
• high-level cultural performances.
“This award makes us proud and confirms our strategy to highlight Attica as a destination offering multiple options 365 days a year and upgraded thematic tourism experiences,” Attica Governor George Patoulis said.
Established in 1993, the WTA brand is recognized globally as the ultimate hallmark of quality, with winners setting the benchmark to which all others aspire.