All is set for Greece to host the Zagori Mountain Running 2021, a prime mountain running race that is scheduled to take place in Zagori during July 23-25.
In its 10th edition, the race will gather professional and amateur runners from Greece and abroad in an area of outstanding natural beauty – Zagori, western Greece.
Participants this year include Greek athletes Fotis Zisimopoulos, Vangelis Noulas, Angelos Ziakas, Thodoris Zisis, Giannis Kourkourikis and Dimitris Seletis.
Moreover, participants from Spain include runners Jesed Hernandez and Miguel Angel Heras.
The event’s schedule is as follows:
- Participants will be able to receive their participation kits starting from Thursday, July 22 at the Fifth Element store (Dagli 2 & Papazoglou, in Ioannina), between 6-9pm or alternatively on Friday, July 23 (12-10pm) and on Saturday, July 24 (10-8pm) at Tsepelovo High School.
- On Friday, July 23, at 7pm, the race briefing of the athletes will take place at the Tsepelovo High School. It will be followed by a Pasta Party for the athletes of the 80km and 44km races.
- The Zagori Mountain Running 2021 event will start on Saturday, July 24, at 4.30am from Tsepelovo, with the TeRA 80km mountain race.
The race’s positive altitude difference exceeds 5,100 meters. It has a time limit of 20 hours and four intermediate elimination points.
At 6am the Marathon 44+ will take over – a filling 44km circular route, with 2,600m of positive altitude, which challenges athletes to raise their personal goals.
- The children’s “Zagoraki” 1km race will be held on Saturday afternoon at 6pm.
- On Sunday July 25, athletes will have the chance to run two brand new routes: The Half Marathon (starting at 7.45am) and the 10km Entry Race (9.10am).
Due to the special conditions of the coronavirus pandemic, athletes on all routes will start gradually, in order to avoid overcrowding at the starting point.
How to join – health protocols
The event will be conducted based on the strict health protocols approved by the Health Scientific Committee of the General Secretariat of Sports.
All participants are required to bring an EU Digital Covid-19 Certificate in order to enter the event’s venue.
Alternatively, they can present a negative rapid or PCR test for Covid-19 conducted 48 hours before the start of their race or a vaccination certificate or a certificate proving that they have recovered from Covid-19 within the last 2 to 9 months.
The event is organized by the Region of Epirus and the Municipality of Zagori.
For further information on the race: https://www.zagorirace.gr/