UK travel magazine Conde Nast Traveller (CNT) has compiled a list of the “Best Greek islands to Visit in 2021” and features some of Greece’s most popular vacation spots.
After a challenging summer season in 2020 due to the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, CNT’s writer Rachel Howard reveals the 23 Greek islands worth visiting this year for their culture, authenticity, nature, beaches, gastronomy and nightlife.
Howard also picked the best destinations for family vacations, honeymooners, adventure seekers, naturists and loners.
Syros, the capital of the Cyclades, is first on the list for its unique culture and special features.
CNT’s list of the 23 Best Greek islands to Visit in 2021 is as follows:
1. Syros – Best Greek island for culture and off-season cachet
2. Sifnos – Best for big, fat Greek feasts
3. Hydra – Best for a long weekend with the art crowd
4. Milos – Best for a photogenic and dramatic coastline
5. Serifos – Best for naturists and purists
6. Amorgos – Best for deep-blue seas and wide-open spaces
7. Paxoi – Best for the perfect balance of seclusion and sophistication
8. Santorini – Best for honeymooners and first-timers
9. Kefalonia – Best for laidback family holidays
10. Corfu – Best for character and lush landscapes
11. Ithaki – Best for a mythical retreat for lovers and loners
12. Folegandros – Best for authenticity with a bohemian buzz
13. Mykonos – Best for decadent parties and five-star hotels
14. Tinos – Best for traditional villages and knockout tavernas
15. Crete – Best for antiquities, active adventures and sunshine all year round
16. Patmos – Best for stark mystique and show-stopping villas
17. Symi – Best for castaway coves and a picture-perfect port
18. Naxos – Best for endless sandy beaches
19. Astypalea – Best for escaping the crowds
20. Zakynthos – Best for seaside holidays with toddlers or teens
21. Rhodes – Best for travelling back in time
22. Skiathos: Best for flopping onto a sandy beach with a good book
23. Lefkada – Best for sailors, surfers, and superstar beaches.