The measures, that include the closure of all shops from 12am to 7am and a ban on all events including parties, outdoor festivals and religious/church gatherings, will be in effect until September 12.
The president of the Laganas Hoteliers Association, Christina Tetradis, said that the new measures have made this summer season “even more difficult”. However, she underlined that local hoteliers are fully cooperating with Greek authorities.
“Zakynthos’ tourism enterprises have implemented all the necessary hygiene measures, and will continue to do so,” said Tetradis who is also the Vice President of the Hellenic Chamber of Hotels.
“From the first day of their operation, Zakynthos’ hotels have been operating in an exemplary manner by carefully implementing all the safety measures against the coronavirus, training their staff accordingly and fully complying with the strict ‘Health First’ protocol for hotels,” she added.
Tetradis expressed her concern that the Covid-19 restrictions may lead to major financial losses amid a tourism season “that is already lost” and also stressed the need for the establishment of a permanent support mechanism for enterprises operating in areas with Covid-19 restrictions, and their employees.
“This is a matter of survival for Zakynthos, since its economy depends exclusively on tourism,” she said.
It is reminded that on Monday, passengers on board a TUI flight returning from Zakynthos to Cardiff, Wales, were advised to self-isolate after at least seven people tested positive for Covid-19.
These coronavirus incidents came after at least 11 teenagers from the UK, who vacationed on Zakynthos, contracted coronavirus last week.