Greece’s archaeological sites, closed for two months as part of coronavirus (Covid-19) containment measures, are scheduled to reopen to the public with new visitor rules on May 18, said Greek Culture Minister Lina Mendoni this week.
The minister announced the decision after a conference call with health ministry officials and crisis management experts, adding that specific regulations and measures would be announced in the coming period after the assessment of all data.
Issues discussed included protection measures and safety standards for the protection of employees and visitors at cultural sites and events.
The minister also referred to the organization of festivals, performances and rehearsals of theater, dance, and music events as well as to film productions. However, Mitsotakis said on Tuesday that mass events, including sports events and concerts were not likely to take place this summer.
Mendoni said that the culture ministry had already prepared an action plan that will ensure the safe operation of cultural sites and protect guests with specially ordained distancing measures depending on site and space.
The minister added that safer ticket access was also addressed during the meeting as well as the operation of site cafes, sales points and shops.
She stressed that all decisions were in line with national health authority guidelines and subject to change depending on the developments on the coronavirus front.