The battle between Mohegan Gaming & Entertainment and Hard Rock International for the license to manage an integrated casino resort at Hellinikon in Athens officially came to an end earlier this week but still has a long way to go after Hard Rock announced on Thursday that it would be taking the matter to the European Commission.
The news came after Hard Rock International was officially notified by the Hellenic Gaming Commission (EEEP) of its decision to disqualify the company from the Hellinikon casino tender process in Athens
“Hard Rock will take the necessary actions to protect the company and its brand from unfair and improper practices both in Greece and with the European Commission,” the US company said in a statement, adding that it was “disappointed” by both the EEEP’s decision to reject its bid as well as with the process.
“While we are disappointed by this news, we are more disappointed in the process. Hard Rock firmly believes it was wrongly disqualified based on an inaccurate rationale and a clear conflict of interest,” the company also said.
The Florida-based company said that after instructing its legal advisers in Greece and Brussels to evaluate the matter, it found that the law firm advising the EEEP and the Hellinikon IRC Tender Committee has been representing a member of the rival bidder since 2008.
Hard Rock said it had then proceeded to notify all parties involved.
Concluding its statement, Hard Rock said all legal actions are taken with the aim to “see that a fair process for the tender is completed and that the technical and financial sections of the submission are opened for both parties to ensure a transparent outcome.”