connect with us
Greece's latest tourism industry news by Greek Travel Pages (gtp)

Accor Commits to Eliminate Single-use Plastics by 2022

International hospitality group Accor on Thursday announced its commitment to join the recently launched Global Tourism Plastics Initiative, with the aim to remove all single-use plastic items from its hotels by the end of 2022.

The Global Tourism Plastics Initiative is led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Tourism Organization, in collaboration with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. It is calling on the tourism sector to reduce the amount of plastic pollution it generates with hands-on actions and deadlines.

Welcoming over 120 million guests and serving more than 200 million meals each year, Accor takes its role as a responsible corporate citizen to heart, working within the framework of its sustainable development program, for the past 25 years.

In addition to the group’s previous commitment to eliminate all plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds, today’s new commitment includes the removal of individual plastic toiletry amenities and cups by the end of 2020, and the elimination of all remaining single-use plastic items in guestrooms, meeting areas, restaurants and all leisure activities areas (spas, fitness centers, etc.) by the end of 2022.

“We are aware of the significant impact we have on our planet and our responsibility to create tangible benefits for our employees, guests, suppliers, partners and host communities,” Accor Chairman & CEO Sébastien Bazin said in an announcement.

“What guides us is the consciousness and social awareness that drives every person who strives to be a good citizen. It’s about being aware, socially conscious and consistent,” he added.

With more than 200 million single-use plastic items used every year in all areas, hotels are already reducing significantly their impact. Several have deployed effective solutions by choosing more sustainable alternatives. For instance:

  • 94 percent of Accor’s hotels have eliminated the use of straws, cotton buds and stirrers. The remaining 6 percent (mostly in China) will do it by end of March 2020,
  • 89 percent of ibis’ hotels are using dispensers for amenities as shampoos,
  • Fairmont hotels incorporate water filtration taps in guest rooms to eliminate bottled water altogether,
  • The new brand “Greet” does not use disposable plastic at breakfast while reusable dishes are utilized for butter and jam.

Photos: Accor

Follow GTP Headlines on Google News to keep up to date with all the latest on tourism and travel in Greece.
About the Author
This is the team byline for GTP. The copyrights for these articles are owned by GTP. They may not be redistributed without the permission of the owner.

Add your comment