The minister’s statement came after the elevator to one of the most famous monuments in Greece suddenly stopped working on Saturday.
In an announcement, the minister said that officials are already looking into the situation to provide an absolutely safe solution.
“Our concern right now is to restore the existing elevator so visitors are absolutely safe… At the same time, we are looking into the permanent solution of providing a more modern elevator,” Minister Mendoni said.
The elevator, which is located some 350 meters from the main entrance of the archaeological site, was installed on the occasion of the Athens Olympic Games in 2004 for visitors for visitors with disabilities and reduced mobility.
“Fifteen years have passed since then. The problem is that the particular elevator has ‘aged’,” she added.
The elevator at the Acropolis was out of order again this past autumn.
“The problems should have been dealt with two or three years earlier or at least from last autumn, when the elevator was not working again,” Minister Mendoni said, adding that the culture ministry’s services will make every effort not to disappoint visitors.
“However, any solution must first of all be absolutely safe,” she underlined.
When in operation, the elevator at the Acropolis is available for wheelchairs, people with mobility problems and any parent with two or more infants.