The Elefthere Seaside Luxury Thermal Spa Resort, a new innovative tourism project set to combine spa and wellness with hospitality, is currently under development in the thermal town of Eleftheres, near Kavala in northern Greece.
The area includes six hot springs with water temperature ranging from 37 to 42 degrees Celsius, which are considered ideal for the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders and skin diseases among others.
A project of KNC SA, a Greek a wood processing company based in the northern city of Drama, the Elefthere Resort aims to operate as an all-inclusive spa and wellness destination 365 days a year.
The 30-million-euro project will include many different kinds of spa facilities, as well as a five-star hotel and villas.
Its construction is expected to begin in July 2019, after a joint ministerial decision is published by the Greek government, setting the project’s environmental and construction terms.
KNC aims to complete the project in 2020, and open the spa resort in May 2021.
The Elefthere Seaside Luxury Thermal Spa Resort will be constructed in a 785sq.m. area of unique natural beauty in the Marmaras valley and forest and the 1km long seafront. The area has been leased by KNC until 2052 with the option of extension.
The resort will include a total of 155 deluxe rooms, suites and villas; a health & wellness center; a five-star thermal spa hotel; a five-star hotel; an agora; an artificial lake, and a small spa center on the coast which will focus on seawater therapies, treatments and activities.
“The Elefthere Resort project is based on five pillars: The area’s hot springs; the natural surroundings; Greece’s culture and nutrition; high-quality services, and the site’s unique architecture.
Our aim is for the resort to operate 365 days a year. It is our vision and the most difficult part of the project, ” KNC Elefthere Resort Project President & CEO Nikolaos Charakidis told reporters during a press conference in Kavala on Saturday.
KNC also looks to preserve the area’s natural surroundings and historic buildings.
“We will focus on natural local materials such as wood, stone and marble… We wish to preserve the characteristics of the old thermal town, and add new facilities that will offer our guests’ privacy,” Charakidis said.
Approximately, 70 percent of the project will be funded by the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) and EU’s JESSICA (Joint European Support for Sustainable Investment in City Areas) program, and the remaining 30 percent by private funds.
KNC is considering the option of a strategic partnership and has thus signed a memorandum of understanding with a London-based Indian wellness and hospitality group, which is interested in investing in the Greek tourism market.
In addition, KNC has been collaborating with Inova Hospitality for the management of the resort’s sales abroad.
The Elefthere Resort will be located 40km from Kavala and 120km from Thessaloniki.
The long history of Elefthere’s thermal springs
The healing powers of the Elefthere thermal springs are known since antiquity as references can be found in the works of Herodotus and Strabo.
Furthermore, the thermal springs are referred in manuscripts of the 11th and 14th centuries AD, of monks from Mount Athos.
The Eleftheres thermal town was designed by architect Aristotelis Zachos in 1908-1910, and operated by tobacco trader Zachos Zachou. It included a total of 31 buildings such as the Ottoman baths, a bakery, a grocery store and two hotels.
The site was in operation until 2011, and is currently abandoned.
The Elefthere Resort project foresees the restoration and preservation of the Ottoman baths and four historic buildings within the property.