Greece’s Independent Power Transmission Operator SA (ADMIE) announced on Tuesday, a call for tenders for the third phase of an energy link project set to provide power to the Cyclades islands.
Interested parties must submit bids by August 23.
Budgeted at 115 million euros, the bid includes the study, supply and installation of a second submarine cable linking Lavrion with Syros aimed at reinforcing the current connection and meeting the increased demand for energy.
The announcement comes days after the official launch of Mykonos‘ connection with the national power grid attended by Environment Minister Giorgos Stathakis, Mykonos Mayor Konstantinos Koukas, South Aegean Governor George Hatzimarkos, and ADMIE CEO Manos Manousakis.
The first phase of a 245-million-euro underwater cable link project set to cut the cost of supplying power to the islands by 80 million euros a year was inaugurated on Syros by Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras in March.
Tsipras presented the link connecting initially five Cycladic islands – Syros, Mykonos, Tinos, Paros and Naxos – to the mainland (Lavrion) energy grid. In should be noted that the four islands will also provide the neighboring islands of Antiparos, Koufonissi, Schinoussa, Irakleia, Ios, Sikinos and Folegandros with energy.
Speaking to the Athens News Agency, Manousakis said he estimates that the third phase of the project will be completed by 2020, “two years earlier compared to initial estimates”.
“This circuit will once and for all ensure that the Cycladic islands are supplied only by the mainland grid in all operational conditions,” he said.
Meanwhile, ADMIE announced last week, the launch of the second phase of works budgeted at 70 million euros, which include linking Naxos with Paros and Mykonos, as well as the upgrade of the existing cable connection for Andros, Evia and Tinos. The second phase is scheduled to be completed in 2019.