Chania Airport to Welcome 13 New Routes
Thirteen new routes will soon be introduced at Chania Airport “Ioannis Daskalogiannis” on Crete, according to Fraport Greece.
The announcement was made during a recent event in Chania held by the company to present its plans for the strategic upgrade of Chania’s airport, which is among the 14 Greek regional airports it manages.
According to Fraport Greece, the new routes to be introdiced to Chania will be operated by Aegean Airlines, Blue Air, Brussels Airlines, CSA Czech Airlines, EasyJet, Edelweiss, Ellinair, Enter Air, Lauda Motion, Primera Air, SunExpress Deutschland, Small Planet Airlines and Thomson Airways.
During the presentation, Fraport Greece highlighted its objectives for maximising the potential of the airport infrastructure, increasing passenger traffic, as well as attracting new airlines, and upgrading offered services.
“This falls in line with the collaborative philosophy that the company cultivates with all stakeholders, in order to promote Chania as a travel destination and to boost tourism and economic growth in the wider Western Crete region,” the company said in an announcement.
Enhancement changes that will be implemented at Chania’s airport under Fraport Greece’s investment plan, include:
• Rearranging the terminal’s internal utilization
• Rearranging the departure gate lounge
• Expanding the security control area
• HBS (Hold Baggage Screening Systems) inline screening
• Expanding the waste water treatment plant or connection to municipal service
• Reorganizing the apron area
• Refurbishing the airside pavement
• 25 percent increase in the number of departure gates (from 8 to 10)
• Doubling the number of security-check lanes (from 4 to 8)
The presentation in Chania was part of a series of open briefings held by the company in the areas that its 14 airports serve.