Greece has condemned a terrorist attack that took place Monday night at the Manchester Arena following an Ariana Grande concert killing 22 people and leaving at least 59 injured.
“We firmly condemn the brutal terrorist attack that took place last night at a Manchester concert venue. We express our sincere condolences to the families of the victims, the British people and their government,” the Greek foreign ministry said in statement.
The Islamic State (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attack on Tuesday afternoon, saying in a statement posted in several languages that one of its “soldiers” had carried out the strike.
“One of the soldiers of the caliphate was able to place an explosive device within a gathering of the Crusaders in the city of Manchester.”
According to UK media, supporters of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) had hailed the bombing across social media as a victory against “the crusaders” of the West.
Earlier, British police said they had arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack with officials claiming the strike was likely carried out by a single man. There were children among the fatalities while parents are still searching for missing youngsters.
UK Prime Minister Theresa May speaking from Downing Street on Tuesday said the threat level would remain at “severe”.
“The threat level remains at severe. That means that a terrorist attack remains highly likely but the independent joint terrorism analysis center, which sets the threat level on the basis of the intelligence available to them will continue to assess this throughout today and in the days ahead,” May said.
The prime minister also said that the general election campaign had been suspended.
Meanwhile, via her twitter account, 23-year-old US pop singer Ariana Grande said: “broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words”.