connect with us
Greece's latest tourism industry news by Greek Travel Pages (gtp)

Greek PM Pledges Emergency Support After Thasos Fires

Photo source: @PrimeministerGR

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras on Thasos. Photo source: @PrimeministerGR

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has pledged to cover 80 percent of damages to homes and businesses on the island of Thasos (or Thassos) after wild fires on four fronts destroyed large parts of land over the weekend.

The northeastern Aegean island was declared in a state of emergency on Sunday, while Tsipras met with local authorities on Monday, announcing emergency measures as helicopters continued their efforts to extinguish the blaze. Schools remain closed today.

Tsipras said the state will provide 80 percent of compensation for farmers, beekeepers and homeowners with the remaining 20 percent to be covered by long-term borrowing.

The fire was said to have been sparked by lightning on Saturday, and exacerbated by strong winds.

Tsipras added that authorities will proceed with anti-flooding works after assessing the damage with the aid of specially designed drones and then immediately reforest ravaged areas.

“The destruction is massive but Thasos is has a rich natural habitat and will remain a very important tourist destination,” the Greek prime minister said.

Follow GTP Headlines on Google News to keep up to date with all the latest on tourism and travel in Greece.
About the Author
This is the team byline for GTP. The copyrights for these articles are owned by GTP. They may not be redistributed without the permission of the owner.

Add your comment