Several hundred travel bloggers and online media from all over the world, along with travel industry professionals, will be in Athens next week to attend the Travel Blog Exchange European Conference – TBEX Europe 2014.
TBEX is about “the future of travel media” and includes media of all kinds: bloggers, podcasters, videographers, photographers. TBEX attendees also include travel industry representatives such as destinations, PR agencies, tour companies, travel products, and more.
TBEX is a multi-day event that combines workshops, inspirational keynotes, and educational breakout sessions, with business networking opportunities. A full schedule of events has been planned to take place at the Megaron Athens International Conference Center, including two sessions of speed networking, and plenty of great social events.
TBEX Europe will take place 23-25 October, but the organizers have announced three 2-day exclusive, highly-focused workshops with expert instructors leading attendees through hands on lessons and experiences. These workshops are offered as a supplement to TBEX educational programming, and are designed to enhance skills in a niched learning area. The pre-event workshops have been developed based on the interest and requests of travel bloggers. For details on the pre-event workshops, press here.
TBEX conference & pre-event workshops schedule
Tuesday, 21 October & Wednesday, 22 October multiday pre-event workshops will cover:
- Travel Writing
“This two-day writing class workshop in Athens will focus on what it takes to be a travel writer”
Led by: David Farley
- Photo Workshop & Walk
Led by: Laurence Norah and Daniel Nahabedian
- Hands on Blog Design and Technology
“This two day workshop will focus on the most important sites out there – yours”
Led by: Mitch Canter
Thursday, 23 October, specialized half day pre-event workshop
- Video (Free)
For attendees who’d like to spend a little more time figuring out video blogging.
Led by: Peter Parkorr
Friday, 24 October main event outbreaks will cover:
- Search Engine Optimization for Bloggers (Intermediate)
Speaker: Mitch Canter
- Turning a Passion into a Business: How to Monetize Your Photography (Intermediate).
Speakers: Laurence Norah and Daniel Nahabedian
- How to Get the Most out of TBEX (or any event) (Beginners).
Speakers: Jen Leo and Dylan Lowe
- Propinquity: Leveraging the Secret Science of Relationship Formation to Grow Your Sales (Advanced).
Speaker: Tom Martin
- How to Implement a Social Media Marketing Plan with Limited Resources (Intermediate)
Speaker: Jennifer Dombrowski
- Easy Ways to Get Video Onto Your Blog (Beginners).
Speaker: Peter Parkorr
- Build a Better Blogging Brand: How a Unique Identity is Key to Blogging Success (Advanced).
Speaker: Bret Love
- How To Network Without Becoming Annoying (Beginners).
Speaker: Kerwin McKenzie
- Building Effective Blogger Relationships: A 12 Month Plan (Advanced).
Speaker: Colm Hanratty
- #Winning with 140 Characters: Learn How to Utilize Twitter to Drive Demand For Your Business (Advanced).
Speaker: Mat Rider
- So Much Content, So Little Time: Productivity Tips for Bloggers (Intermediate)
Speaker: Tim Leffel
- Travel Bloggers: Be Seen and Be Heard (Beginners)
Speaker: Michael Collins
- Harnessing Hashtags for Bloggers and Content Providers (Intermediate)
Speaker: Ciaran Blumenfeld
- How to Weather a Crisis on Social Media (Advanced)
Speaker: Casey Mead
- The Convergence Imperative: How Social, Content and PR Combine for Marketing Success On and Offline (Advanced).
Speaker: Jason Falls
Saturday, 25 October main event outbreaks will cover:
- How to Do More with iPhone Photography (Intermediate)
Speaker: Sarabeth Jones
- Building a Better Blogging Business: Getting it Done Every Single Day (Advanced)
Speaker: Tammilee Tillison
- Twitter Beyond the Basics: Tips for Advanced Users (Advanced)
Speaker: Laurel Robbins
- It’s Not About You: Community Management for a Brand
Speakers: Jessica Spiegel and Jennifer Dombrowski
- Tools for Planning Blogger Trips (Intermediate)
Speakers: Amy Jackson and Angie Orth
- The Making of a Podcast: We’ll Do It Live (Beginners).
Speaker: Paul Lasley
- Brand Partnerships: Before You Think Big, Think Medium (Intermediate).
Speakers: Katie Hammel and Sara Robles
- Travel Blogging in Greece (Beginners).
Speakers: Becki Enright, Rebecca Hall and Marissa Tejada
- Bloggers Brands & Agencies: Tips from a PR Pro Turned Blogger (Intermediate).
Speaker: Carol Cain
- Not Just Social Media (Intermediate).
Speaker: Ric Dragon
- Tips for Freelancers (Intermediate).
Speaker: David Farley
- How to Monetize Your Culinary Content (Advanced).
Speaker: Andrew Dobson
- “This is Athens” Destination Specialist Program (Intermediate)
Speakers: Katerina Karagianni and Danai Christopoulou
- How to Build an Award Winning Blogger Campaign (Intermediate).
Speaker: Kash Bhattacharya
- Your Community Speaks: You’d Better be Listening (Intermediate).
Speaker: Chris Gray Faust
To see the detailed schedule, press here.
For further information on the speakers at TBEX 2014, press here.
Speed Networking is a structured networking activity that’s become fairly common in the travel industry. Bloggers and sponsors create a custom schedule of meetings in timed eight-minute segments, each of which provides a chance to meet, start a relationship, and consider future business opportunities. Speed Networking is open to all bloggers, but only industry attendees who are sponsors and/or who have purchased a Speed Networking table may participate. There is no charge to bloggers to participate in Speed Networking.
Events – Parties
- Travel Massive Party at TBEX Athens
Wednesday, October 22nd, 8:30-11:30 pm to share in the fun and enthusiasm of travel to Athens.
The party will be held at the Impact HUB Athens, 28 Karaiskaki, in Athens (Google Maps)
- Opening night party
Thursday, October 23rd at 7:30pm hosted by the City of Athens, Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau at Technopolis (Google maps)
- Expedia Party
Friday, October 24th at 8:00pm at the SkyFall cocktails & food bar
- Farewell street event
Saturday, October 26th after the closing of the event at Pandrossou Street (Google maps)
Multi-faceted fam trips
The presence of hundreds of travel bloggers, writers and new media content creators of the international tourism market in Athens, offers a unique opportunity to showcase the Greek capital as an attractive year-round city break destination.
According to the Athens Development and Destination Management Agency of the City of Athens (ADDMA), TBEX constitutes the biggest and most demanding media event that the Greek capital has hosted until now.
Athens will welcome the participants to the biggest tourism event with a series of unique and multi-faceted fam trips.
For participants at TBEX Europe 2014, approximately 70 special itineraries have been prepared that have already been uploaded on the website which the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau (ACVB) created especially for TBEX at http://tbex.thisisathens.org. These itineraries are directed to bloggers, so that depending on their personal preferences, they will have the opportunity to visit different parts of metropolitan Athens. They will be able to learn about the high level of services and infrastructure of the city, and in this way promote, through their experience, Athens’ tourism product.
After the completion of TBEX, fam trips will be organized in cooperation with the GNTO in other parts of Greece, such as Pelion/Volos, the Peloponnese and Epirus. Visitmeteora will organize a fam trip to Meteora, the Thessaloniki Convention Bureau a fam trip to Thessaloniki and Louis Cruises will organize a cruise in the Cyclades.
Any more questions? Are you new to TBEX? Read the newbie guide to TBEX