Presented by: ©Greek Travel Pages
The striking Odeum of Herod Atticus (also in Greek Herodeion) was the last public edifice of the antiquity to be added in the Acropolis area. It was erected by Herod Atticus in memory of his wife Regilla who died in AD 160. A wealthy scion of a notable Athenian family and a major benefactor of the city, Herod adorned Athens with a monument that has been admired since antiquity. The structure was an amphitheater of the typical style of the imperial age. It was intended mainly for musical events and could accommodate 5,000 people. The three-storey skene, preserved to a height of 28 m, featured rich architectural embellishments, while the wooden roof was made of expensive cedar of Lebanon. It is highly probable that not only the Odeum had been roofed in its entirety, but also that the huge roof had no interior supports to rest upon, which even by today’s standards is considered a construction miracle. Like most ancient Attic monuments, Herodeion was destroyed during the raid of Heruli in AD 267 and was later incorporated into the medieval fortification wall of Acropolis. After an extensive restoration in the 1950s, Herodion has revived as a cultural venue, mainly of the Athens Festival.
01Apr – 15Nov Mon-Sun, 0800-1700
16Nov – 31Mar Mon-Sun, 0800-1500