Athens Airport Honors Airlines For Their Development In 2013
Athens International Airport (AIA) recently honored airlines that demonstrated the fastest development and succeeded in recording the highest increases in passenger numbers in their scheduled services during 2013. The award ceremony took place during the 14th Airline Marketing Workshop held at the airport.
The airline awards, as per respective category, were the following:
- Best of the TOP-10 Airlines Award: Turkish Airlines was honored as the overall fastest growing airline operating at AIA in 2013, among the 10 airlines that recorded the highest passenger traffic volumes, while Alitalia and Aegean Airlines were highly commended.
- Fastest Growing Airline in a Thin Route Award: Royal Jordanian received the award for achieving the highest percentage annual passenger growth in 2013, while Pegasus Airlines was highly commended.
- Fastest Growing Airline/Seasonal Routes Award: Norwegian received the award for achieving the highest percentage passenger growth in the summer period of 2013, while US Airways and Air Transat were highly commended.
- Highest Ranking European Destination: British Airways received the award for the highest contribution in making London the top European destination.
- Highest Ranking non-European Destination: Emirates received the award for the highest contribution in making Dubai the top non-European destination out of Europe.
- Fastest Growing Airline Award per geographical region (Highest percentage passenger growth, 2012-2013)
– Aegean Airlines was honored as the fastest growing airline in the domestic market.
– Turkish Airlines was honored as the fastest growing airline for Western Europe, while SAS Scandinavian Airlines and Alitalia were highly commended.
– Aegean Airlines was awarded as the fastest growing airline for Eastern Europe, while Aeroflot and Tarom were highly commended.
– El Al-Israel Airlines was honored as the fastest growing airline for the Middle East. In the same category, Emirates and Middle East Airlines also received the highly commended distinction.
– Egypt Air was awarded as the fastest growing airline for the Africa region.
– Air China was awarded as the fastest growing airline for the Asian region.
- Aegean Airlines was honored for presenting the highest passenger volumes increase at Athens International Airport in 2013. Turkish Airlines and El Al-Israel Airlines were also highly commended.
- Special Award:
– Aegean Airlines was awarded as the most popular airline for 2013 among the European passengers using the Athens airport (source: AIA official annual survey).
– Emirates was honored as the most popular airline for 2013 among the non-European passengers using the Athens airport (source: AIA official annual survey).