Last August, TUI Travel asked 13 of its source markets about holiday trends for their customers in 2013, in an effort to see similarities and differences.
The travel giant asked its source markets of Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland and UK & Ireland.
“This survey has given us real insight into the key similarities and differences between our source markets,” Johan Lundgren, deputy chief executive of TUI Travel, said.
The findings, presented in an infogram (see below), highlight a number of similarities and differences including top holiday destinations, most popular short and long haul destinations, average length of stay and favorite time of the year to travel.
“Identifying holiday trends for 2013 helps ensure we really know our customers and can tailor holidays so they get the best possible service and holiday experience from us,” Mr. Lundgren added.
- The top summer holiday destinations for tourists from the UK and Ireland in 2013 are Turkey, Greece and the Balearic Islands.
- The most popular short haul flight destination for tourists from the UK and Ireland are the Balearic Islands, while the top long haul flight destination is Mexico.
- Tourists from the UK & Ireland, Switzerland and Germany are first to book their holidays in contrast with the Russians who are the last to book.
- On average, French travelers book short holidays when traveling abroad (seven days), while the Dutch prefer multi-day holidays (11 days).
- The average duration of holidays for all markets is nine days.