Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways announced that it recorded its strongest ever passenger and cargo results for the first quarter in 10 years of its operations.
The airline posted Q1 2013 passenger revenues of $900 million as compared to $758 million in 2012, a raise of 19 percent; and cargo revenues of $193 million against $165 million in 2012, a raise of 17 percent. Passenger numbers in Q1 2013 also grew by 18 percent.
Revenue from code-share and equity partners jumped by 34 percent in the first three months of the year and represented 20 percent of total revenue in the quarter.
Etihad Airways’ equity alliance comprises Air Berlin, Air Seychelles, Virgin Australia, and Aer Lingus. Each airline announced profitable results during the first quarter of 2013, which demonstrates the achievement of this new alliance model for all the member airlines. (See more here.)
In February 2013, Etihad Airways announced a $42 million profit for 2012 with revenues of $4.8 billion and passenger numbers breaking 10 million for the first time.
Seven major achievements for Etihad Airways during Q1 2013
- “Big Switch” to new SabreSonic passenger sales system, website, and check-in system
- Launch of daily flights to Washington D.C., on 31 March 2013 and the opening of the new premium lounge at Dulles International Airport
- Announcement of daily flights to Amsterdam from 15 May 2013
- Opening of $8 million first class and business class lounge in Paris
- Launch of its critically acclaimed multi-million dollar television commercial campaign, “The World Is Our Home, You Are Our Guest”
- Graduation of more than 200 staff from the airline’s Emiratisation program
- Appointment of 34 Emirati employees to key roles across the airline’s global network.