Kalymnos will be the first Greek destination to be promoted through “AlterNetGreece,” a new network that aims to introduce lesser known destinations in Greece to a wider audience.
“In order to achieve the goals set for the promotion of Kalymnos, we are focusing on the island’s individual needs that emerge mainly from its development into a premier climbing and diving destination worldwide and the significant deficiencies noticed in the organization and quality of its services,” the creator of “AlterNetGreece,” Kaliopi Tsagari, said during a recent presentation at the Kalymnos Chamber of Commerce.
According to Ms. Tsagari, the “island of the sponge divers” – Kalymnos – could become one of the most exciting destinations in the Aegean for an alternative audience if additional outdoor activities (hiking, sailing, sea canoeing, kayaking, etc.) are developed and if its rich gastronomy, history and culture are highlighted.
Ms. Tsagari presented the marketing plan for alternative tourism “Go Alternative in Greece” that will be implemented for the promotion of the island.
Actions to promote Kalymnos will include:
• the highlighting of the island’s comparative advantages in regards to nature, cultural heritage and its people.
• the design and creation of secondary comparative advantages related to innovative services for both guests and entrepreneurs-members of the network to maximize the destination’s attractiveness.
• the creation of a business network of quality products/services based on specific criteria to ensure a quality stay, modern service and safety of visitors.
• the introduction of other non-tourist businesses-services that may be of interest to visitors (medical services, art workshops, farms, wineries, sports centers, training centers, etc.)
• the creation of new services to increase competitiveness compared to other destinations abroad, (eg. help and rescue service, GIS cartographic applications, information service and complaint management, etc.)
• the organization of outdoor activities and cultural events to increase attendance and attract visitors of specific interests
•the support to initiatives for the promotion of local quality products.
The first results of the promotion of Kalymnos through “AlterNetGreece” are expected in May 2013.