Five steps are needed to support Greek tourism, SETE said prior to the country’s parliamentary elections in May.
- Schengen visa facilitation: The current procedure for obtaining a visa deprives Greece of three to five million tourists, five to seven billion euros and 60,000 to 100,000 new jobs.
- VAT: Tourism professionals have requested a unitary 6.5 percent rate on the entire travel package and for the VAT on catering services to be reduced from 23 to 13 percent.
- Airport costs: A 50 percent reduction of the spatosimo tax and a cut in the costs at Athens International Airport has been requested.
- Athens center: The problems of the Greek capital must immediately be solved so it could win back visitors.
- Special zoning plan for tourism: SETE has requested for the special zoning plan for tourism to be revised as the current plan was “a rough draft and not specific.”