connect with us
Greece's latest tourism industry news by Greek Travel Pages (gtp)

Investors Invited To Bid For New Airport On Crete

Heraklion Airport N. Kazantzakis

Heraklion Airport N. Kazantzakis

The Ministry of Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works recently announced a tender for the construction and management of a one-billion-euro new airport on Crete in the Kastelli area. The new airport is scheduled to replace the existing Nikos Kazantzakis Airport at Heraklio.

According to the ministry, the government would contribute 220 million euros toward the construction of the new airport while the remaining funding would come from the winning bidder.

The government will hold a 55 percent stake in the new airport’s operating company and the winning bidder will have the remaining 45 percent and operate the airport for 35 years.

Crete’s new airport at Kasteli is said to have the capacity to serve 5.5 to 10 million passengers a year and is estimated to be ready by the start of the tourism season in 2015.

The deadline for the submission of tenders is set for February 2010 and the winning bidder should be announced within the first half of that year.

Follow GTP Headlines on Google News to keep up to date with all the latest on tourism and travel in Greece.
About the Author
Nikos is Greek-American born in New York, USA, and has lived in Greece for over 30 years. He is the managing editor of Greece's leading monthly travel and tourism guide, the Greek Travel Pages (GTP) since June 2008 and of news site GTP Headlines since its launch in September 2012. Nikos has also served as international press officer for the City of Athens and for the mayor. He has a degree in Mass Media and Communications, specializing in Journalism. Nikos is a native English speaker and speaks Greek fluently.

Add your comment