connect with us
Travel & Tourism industry news. A Service by Greek Travel Pages (gtp)
 

A note by the publisher

Over the past six months, we have seen many airlines not only abuse dominant position but also engage in concerted practices, both of which are against competition laws.* The first such case concerned the Dutch airline KLM, which abused its dominant position by dictating a cut in...

Tourism Sector Lacks Pertinent Data

The decision making process for most business enterprises and for the formation of a general economic sector policy, such as a tourism policy, begins with the attempt to obtain as much data as possible.

CSA and Korean Air Sign Code-share Agreement

Korean Air, a SkyTeam alliance member, begins flying between Prague and Seoul, South Korea, as of May 22 with Czech Airlines as its code-share partner. The Czech flag carrier will offer its passengers flights to Seoul and will also be the general agent for cargo.

Panorama Tourism Fair Premieres Olympic Greece

Visitors to this year's tourism fair Touristiko Panorama get the first glimpse of "Olympic Greece" and also get the chance to form initial impressions on the tourism dimension of the greatest challenge facing the country in modern times.

ITB 2004 Expects More Than 9,000 Exhibitors

The International Tourism Exchange ITB Berlin 2004, which will take place from 12 to 16 March on the Berlin Exhibition Grounds and in the International Congress Center ICC Berlin, represents every aspect of the value-added chain in the international tourism industry.

Athens Hosts Europe’s Hotel Managers

Some 280 hotel managers from throughout Europe arrived in Athens recently to take part in the European Hotel Manager Association's 31st general assembly. During the assembly participants heard in-depth reports on Europe's hotel industry and its difficulties.

Athenian Hotels Record Major Drop in Overnights

Overnights in the Athens area dropped an average drop of 11.5% last year when compared with 2002, according to statistics released last month by the Attica Hoteliers' Association. The association says the drop is phenomenal considering it took place the year prior to Athens...

Superfast Ferries Considers New Investment Program

After the sale of four of its first-generation super-fast ferry vessels, Attica Enterprises reportedly has its eyes on foreign shipyards for the construction of new vessels within the framework of a new investment program. This time, however, the new vessels concern its coastal...

Festival Cruises Sells Three Vessels

In late January, Festival Cruises (of Greek-Italian interests) was broiled in talks with creditors in an attempt to reverse a decision to auction off its three recently acquired cruise ships -- the Mistral, European Vision and European Star. In mid February, Festival announced...

Legislation for Tourism Marketing Firm

Legislation before parliament foresees the creation of a tourism marketing firm, most likely under private management. According to the legislation, 51% of the firm's capital will be held by the Hellenic Tourism Organization and the remaining 49% will be split among regional...

Olympic Prices for Greek Tourism Sector

A lot has been said recently on the difficulties that face the Greek tourism market and whether or not tourism enterprises will manage to scrounge out a profit from business activities this year, the year of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games. According to some recent surveys, most...

Tourism Industry Leaders Pessimistic for 2004 Season

Greece's tourism professionals are not in the least optimistic about the future of the country's main currency-earning industry thus crushing earlier hopes that 2004, being the country's Olympic year, would provide the much-needed shot in the arm to the sector.

Air France-KLM Merger Approved

Competition commissons in both the European Union and America last month approved the proposed merger between Air France and Holland's KLM airlines. With this approval of the carrier's de facto takeover by Air France, KLM's life as an independent airline comes to an end.