“Face of the Week” is GTP’s weekly column that introduces the young professionals of the Greek tourism industry. Every week, a young Greek professional will refer to issues related to their profession, the travel & tourism sector and Greece as a destination.
“If I had to use an ancient expression that reflects our industry: ‘Everything flows’-Heraclitus (‘Τα πάντα ρει’ – Ηράκλειτος).”
Roula was born in Athens in 1976 and has been working in the tourism industry for the past 20 years. After graduating from the Organization of Tourism Education & Training (OTEK) in Anavyssos, she had the opportunity to work with various travel management companies specializing in business travel.
Having gained experience with major multinational corporate accounts and local companies, she moved up the career ladder to the airline industry and for four years focused on Sales and Account Management.
Today she works in the Sales Department of Marine Tours as a Sales Executive and deals with the Corporate and Shipping Industry.
- What are the things you like best about your job and how would you describe your management philosophy in aviation and tourism?
I always loved to meet and communicate with people; through my job I have this chance. In tourism new horizons and new challenges come up every single day. If I had to use an ancient expression that reflects our industry: “Everything flows”-Heraclitus (“Τα πάντα ρει”-Ηράκλειτος).
- Have you had to face any challenges in your career to get to where you are today?
The biggest challenge was when I decided to move from a TMC (Travel Management Company) company to the airline industry. I was challenged to think “across the river”, to enrich my professional horizons and to improve my skills.
- In regards to aviation, where do you think Greece needs to improve the most?
Greece needs to improve infrastructure and handling in all regional airports in order to be able to offer better services and accept more direct flights.
- Which is your region’s best kept “secret”? (In other words, what shouldn’t be a secret in your opinion and should be promoted more abroad?)
Both of my parents are from a small village in the area of Fokida. Apart from our islands, Greece is a mountainous country with hidden small traditional villages, where somebody could really have a taste of local cuisine and local way of life.
- If you could pass on a message to the aviation/tourism industry about Greece, what would it be?
“Invest in Greece! It’s worth it!”
- What are your plans for the future?
To always improve my professional skills and my personal attitude in order to leave behind a positive image through my cooperations. Luckily I am a member of an organization like Marine Tours that offers its people the means to evolve!
- If you didn’t work in the tourism industry where would you be?
I had never had the time to think of any alternative field since I’ve always been tourism oriented!
Connect with Roula Kada on LinkedIn